So far, we haven’t done much reading in class, so I haven’t
had the chance to apply what I learned in the summer homework to the text we’ll
cover this year. I’m still thinking about the terms test, and I imagine I’m not
the only one a little concerned with the score I got. I’m guessing that if/when
we discuss the answers, it’s going to serve as an example of how there may be many
different literary techniques employed in a single small excerpt of text.
Memorizing some of the words was a chore; others I already knew. But we haven’t
had any real use for them yet. I mean, I can now recognize all the enjambment
in “Mexicans Begin Jogging”, but that hasn’t really affected my analysis and
understanding of the work. (Don’t get me wrong – I noticed the use of the
technique when I first read the poem and noted its effect on the narrator’s
tone, but I wasn’t thinking, “Oh, look. That’s enjambment right there.”)
The one exception might be the diagnostic tests in the
Peterson AP guide. No doubt it’ll be important to know those words when we take
the AP test, since using correct terminology is part of knowing the subject,
but we’re not just freely throwing those terms around in our casual classroom
discussions.
On the other hand, I have found the summer homework we were
assigned to be much more helpful. Though we haven’t done any analysis of text
in class, both of the books were very helpful in analyzing the poems for the
forum posts. (And I think those were pretty good practice for some of the
poetry analysis questions in the diagnostic.)
The Nuts and Bolts of College Writing made me pay
attention to small details that previously subconsciously affected my
interpretation of literature, but that I can now recognize. For example, in
both “Mexicans Begin Jogging” and “The Terrorist, He Watches”, I now
specifically notice how the language is simple, but elegant. The authors use
basic, but varied, language and end up with clear, concise poetry, which lends
it more meaning, I think. After watching the online presentations, I’d bet that
this book is going to be even more important when we practice writing essays
for the AP test. Many of the points it makes are about clear communication with
the reader, which is what rhetoric is all about.
How to Read Literature Like a Professor, on the other
hand, didn’t play as direct a role in my analysis of the poems, but did draw my
attention to various kinds of symbolism and allegory (as well as the difference
between the two). I think the same type of mindset that allows me to claim that
Eragon and Star Wars are the same story will help me draw
connections when analyzing poetry and when writing essays. It also just gave me
the chance to read “Me Talk Pretty One Day”, which is one of the few essays – I’d
prefer to call it a short story – that I enjoy reading. After watching the
presentations on rhetoric and argument, I was able to think back to the
analysis I wrote and understand what I could have improved.
In short, we’ve mostly been gaining knowledge that enables
us to read and analyze effectively and we’ve learned the terminology we need to
do so. Now, we’ll probably do a lot more analysis than we’ve done so far, since
we’re better prepared to jump right into it.
Hey Mayank! :)
ReplyDeleteI've encountered the same situation as you did on the terms test. I realized that by just memorizing the definition of those words is not gonna help me understand them and "freely throwing those terms around in our casual classroom discussions." I agree that we should do more practice like identifying the examples of the terms, that would definitely help us to do better on the next test.
Also, The Nuts and Bolts of College Writing made me pay more attention to those small details in the movies or books. It's amazing that I can finally connect the ideas to all the works I've read before. Nice work!
(Bah late response is late.)
ReplyDeleteYour response to the terms studying and the subsequent test (and the resulting rather unfortunate event that was getting our scores…) was spot on to my own reaction. Well, minus understanding many of the words. Either way, though, I found myself wondering why we were learning the terms at all. Sure, I knew how to recognize a specific word setup, but why did that word matter? I recognized that setup anyway, now I was just putting a name to it. Great. How very useful. (It was even better when my English major mother looked at the list of words and promptly told me that she'd never heard of half of them, even after teaching high schoolers for years.) It was only when Mrs. Holmes revealed her clever trick that I understood why we'd been told to memorize them at all.
On to your reflections in general. You did a good job of including most of what we'd completed at that point in time, which admittedly was not so terribly much. Your voice comes through pretty clearly as well, one of the better parts of this assignment; you're free to speak your mind without needing to worry about "correctness", as it's all based on your own opinions. I definitely enjoyed the fact that you didn't just summarize all of what we've done and add on a few sentences about how they'll help in the rest of the year, but instead added in your own opinions on how helpful (or not) things seemed to you.
Mayank, I was also really concerned about my score on the terms test as well. I took the time to memorize the words and felt like I really had them down but when it came to the test I bombed. If I had practiced more than just the definitions of the words I feel like I would have done better. It was a relief that ms. Holmes didn't count the scores and told us she was showing us how to study more like a colIege student than a high school one. Which was kind of a realization to me that this is a college level class. I also agree with you that the summer work was really helpful. How to read literature like a professor really made me look at books and stories I read differently. It showed me theres a lot more to stories than just what is written there. Over all you did a good job of not just listing what we did but explaining how you felt about everything and what you learned from it.
ReplyDelete