- Reread passages.
- Know when the answer is or is not directly from the passage. (Get the meaning, not the wording.)
- Practice guessing definitions.
- Figure out when a description is “close enough”.
- Identify correct, but irrelevant answers.
Maybe it’s just because I hate scrolling back and forth
through a PDF, but I’m missing questions I think I would have gotten had I
taken the time to go back and read the passage again rather than trust my
comprehension and memory.
I also noticed that there are a lot of questions that ask
you about what is in the passage without asking you to interpret or infer
anything, and it seems like the answer is copied verbatim from the text. A lot
of the time, the correct answer is not directly from the text because it tends
to be more general and encompasses the whole text. (The guide said to
understand the author’s meaning, not just his wording.)
A few questions ask you to infer the definition. Some I can
get using prior knowledge and etymology. For the others, practicing process of
elimination and the best methods of guessing the correct definition will
probably be a useful skill.
Some answers just bug me because they conflict with what I
think is correct. I wouldn’t call a nautilus shell spherical, but the AP test
might. I just have to figure out when it’s close enough to be the best answer
even though I think an equiangular spiroid is more oblong than spherical.
Sometimes it’s hard to pick the correct answer because two
of them look completely correct and are mentioned in the passage. I need to
learn to figure out which one is relevant to the question I’m being asked.
I enjoyed reading your analysis of your test-taking experience--you have some perceptive and thoughtful things to say.
ReplyDelete