This is going to be tricky to write. Well, trickier than the
first Response to Course Material, anyway, since we’ve covered so much more in
the last month than we did the month before. I’ll try to hit on most of the
major concepts.
The DIDLS exercises took up most of the class time for a
week, which just shows how important it must be for us to know DIDLS on the AP
test. Although they gave us a chance to put into practice what we had only
covered in lessons, I didn’t find them to be too helpful. Because the passages
we were analyzing tended to be excerpts from longer works, like novels, it was
hard to tell what was important in the context of the whole work. And because
we couldn’t find important examples of DIDLS throughout the whole work, it felt
more like I had to strain to find enough examples of DIDLS within the short
excerpt rather than naturally coming across meaningful ones. (I felt like one
of my previous English teachers, telling the class that some minutia was
actually a complex symbol.) It was easier to annotate with DIDLS when we looked
at The Century Quilt, since that was a whole work and I could see how
the work was structured as a whole, what its overall meaning was, and which
words from a specific section had connections to another part.
I guess the tone exercises were contrived to help us see how
to answer the other part of the key question – DIDLS are techniques; tone is an
effect. Personally, I’ve always been bad at identifying tone in printed text.
Those questions are the ones that give me the most trouble on standardized
tests. I can get some of them; it’s when the tone is really subtle or two
answer choices are similar that I get stuck. I hope these exercises will help,
but it feels like I’m just taking a test again. I know we’re talking through
them as a class, but it sometimes feels like no one else is sure of the answer
either. There is some subjectivity involved when discussing tone, of course,
but even so, there is a lot of disagreement at times and it isn’t always
resolved.
The critical lenses presentation was mostly a review for me,
although it did cover a few things that weren’t in American and British Lit.
The quiz was just free points. I’m not sure how applicable the different lenses
will be, since we’ll be doing analysis on the AP test, not labeling it. I think
the literary movement presentation will be much more helpful. Although we haven’t
applied it yet, knowing the literary movement a piece of literature is from
will probably help us know what to look for and focus on while DIDLS-ing and
while looking for the meaning of the work.
The allusions presentations were functionally similar to the
literary movement presentation. Just as the literary movement tells us what
techniques and meanings to look for in certain works, just knowing these
allusions helps us recognize them when we see them. And in many cases, the
author depends on the audience to have this background knowledge already. (This
is something all those papers on humor mentioned, too.) I was familiar with
most of the allusions already, but there were some allusions to more obscure
pieces of mythology in there as well, which I should now start trying to look
for in literature. The more you know, I guess.
And of course, we spent a couple of days reading one of the
five major works we study this year – The American Dream, by Edward Albee.
I’ll be honest – I’m not looking forward to this close reading. I guess the
Theater of the Absurd is interesting to read, to say the least. Sometimes it
borders on enjoyable, with its occasional points of dialogue so absurd they’re
funny. But I’ll have to think a lot about what meaning The American Dream
has. Were it truly Theater of the Absurd, maybe I could claim that it has no
meaning at all. But as one of the articles we read pointed out, it diverges a
little and matches conventional literature more closely. It has some sort of a
plot arc – something that I noticed and that bothered me when we were reading.
I say it bothered me because every so often, I would feel like I knew what was
going on, but then the dialogue would abruptly shift again and I would lose my
train of thought. Hopefully, the literary movement presentation will come in
handy here, because making sense out of this play with no context is pretty
difficult.
I know I’ve skipped some of the smaller activities, but I
think this covers the major concepts from the last few weeks. We seem to be
focusing on learning more and more information so that we can apply it later. I
just hope I don’t forget it all by the time we do.
This was really thorough- nice! I agree that DIDLS is easier to use on longer pieces. There's more examples to choose from, and it is easier to see the structure. Agreed on the English teacher part, too.
ReplyDeleteI also agree that DIDLS is easier to use with longer pieces, since we're able to see where and how a specific spot fits. Parts of the presentations were also review for me, though most were also new ideas. I was lost during The American dream as well, but probably more often than you were.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very thorough response. I agree that tone is really hard to find when it's written. I am unbelievably bad at figuring that out, I find reading it out loud to myself helps but will we really be able to do that on the exam? Hopefully our class gets better at that, not that I help much myself. The close reading for The American Dream hopefully wasn't as hard as you thought it would be and hopefully the Theater of the Absurd, but not really, makes a bit more sense.
ReplyDelete